Property Division Lawyers in Sherwood Park

Partners who have not taken the step of formalizing their relationship as a marriage face the same questions and uncertainty as a married couple. Although not treated exactly the same as marriages, the law does recognize that the relationship was an economic and emotional partnership (no different from that of married couples), and the separation needs to be subject to the same considerations. The team at The Art & Science of Dispute Resolutions in Sherwood Park can provide you with personalized legal advice to help you make the right decisions for your property division.

Understanding Adult Interdependent Partners

If you have been in a committed relationship for over 3 years or have a child together the law recognizes your relationship as adult interdependent partners. There may be no marriage to dissolve, yet the same decisions about property, debts, financial support and parenting of children apply. Therefore, when you decide to separate from each other, the assets and debts accumulated together as well as parenting questions need to be addressed, and a legal agreement needs to be signed.

You can decide for yourselves or have a judge decide for you. If you decide, it is called a property settlement agreement. If a judge decides, it is called a judgement. Get in touch with our team to benefit from over 25 years of experience in working with cases just like yours.

Need Legal Help?

Visit us for a free 20-minute consultation to discuss your initial questions.

The Art & Science of Dispute Resolution

129 Seneca Rd

Sherwood Park, AB T8A 4G6

PHONE/ 780-410-1188

FAX/ 780-410-1640



Monday – Thursday:
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday: closed

Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Created by

Legal notice